About Don't Shred on Me! Alliance
A regional / national / international alliance to help defend natural areas and wilderness from intrusion of mountain biking & MTB trails.
- DSoM == Don't Shred On Me!
- DSoM is not associated with any one person or group.
- No governance proposed (at this time). Just purposes, and values.
- Website: http://DontShredOnMe.org
- Website would be Seeded from the MTB content curated by Vandeman. http://mjvande.info
- Mailing list - maintained, guarded, and powered by MJV as is.
Core Philosophy / Principles / Strategy / Platform
- No Bikes in Wilderness Areas
- No MTB in Natural Areas set aside for Water Quality and Wildlife (Nature!).
Reference Material / Bibliography / Resources
- FAQ: http://mjvande.info/mtbfaq.htm
- MTB Play Book: Compile all the mountain bikers' arguments, with refutations of them.
- Guide for elected officials and policy makers: What can they say to MTB who push for access to natural areas, sensitive public land?
- Guide for Land Managers: What they can do to keep control of land they manage.
- Regional chapters with local issues (situations) and optional contacts:
Vancouver, BC metro area Seattle metro area Portland metro area Northern California Bay Area Monterey Bay (Central California Coast) Southern California Denver metro area? East Coast, Boston Europe Australia
- Directory of proactive, watchdog groups. What are they?
- Directory of conservation groups that are pro-mountain-biking. Critiques of their postions.
- Directory of mountain-biking groups. Critiques of their postions.
Don't Shred on Me News & Opinions
- News about the DSoM alliance.
- Comments on current events.
- Alerts - sent out in MJV email.
- News & alerts posted on Facebook/Twitter.
- Opinions on current state of affairs.
Call to Action
what people can do short term and long term?
Archive of media articles
- By category = (injury, digging, poaching, lying BS,...)
- Plain text of article (summary/edited if long) with link to appearance.
- Compiled from 100's (1000's) of Mike's daily mailings.
- Include Photos from articles? Potential Copyright issues?
If each 'location' (Natural Area) had small organization and website describing the location, then each could join the DSoM Alliance.
Non-profit status could be a long term goal, but isn't necessary unless you want to solicit tax deducible donations.
All is needed is and in-name-only organization. All we need is this website which can be referenced when dealing with GOV agencies and elected officials, or in any other communication.
Maybe we should piggy-back on the anti-ORV groups, and try to get them involved in stopping mountain biking. I think that most people probably think that mountain biking is minor, compared to ORVs, but, as you know, it's not true! Most of our parks don't allow ORVs, but do allow mountain bikes. And mountain bikers are continually pushing for more and more trails, which add up to a huge amount of habitat destruction. (Remember, the destruction is not just in the trailbed; the presence of people drives away the wildlife from a wide swath over a mile on either side of the trail!)
Mountain Biking Hall of Crime
Sample Tweet: I asked the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame how many of their inductees are criminals like Digger, but they didn't respond! What a shock!
Mountain Bike Hall of Fame mmbhof.org DSoM could feature these guys!
Lobby the following groups?
Unfortunately, none of these address the harm mountain biking does: American Civil Liberties Union Americans for NonSmokers' Rights (not tax-deductable) Association for Environmental and Outdoor Education California League of Conservation Voters California Native Plant Society California Peace Action California Wilderness Coalition Center for Biological Diversity Center for Marine Conservation (see Ocean Conservancy) Communities for a Better Environment Earth Justice Legal Defense Ecocity Builders Environmental Action EPIC Forest Forever, Inc Friends of the Earth Friends of the River FSEEE (Forest Service Employees for Environmental Ethics) Greenaction Greenpeace Inc Landwatch Natural Resources Defense Council Nature Conservancy NAAEE (North Amer. Assn. for Env. Educ.) Public Citizen Rainforest Action Network San Bruno Mountain Watch Save the Bay Sempervirens Fund Sierra Club Society for Conservation Biology Southwest Ctr for Biological Diversity Trust for Public Land Union of Concerned Scientists Western Environmental Law Center Western States Legal Foundation Wild Earth Guardians (successor to Wildlands CPR) Wilderness Watch (List edited.)
Facebook @DontShredMe, Twitter @DontShredOnMe (Neither Available!) TWITTER @DSOM == DenverSchoolofMusic 2,500+ followers inactive since 2013 @Dsome = Hansie_Schutte Avid MotorBiker. Windhoek, Namibia not very active Don't Shred on Me is taken! Freedom to shred, the American Way...shredonme.blogspot.com dead acct (2011) A surfer in L.A. CA... Freedom to Shred (surf) https://twitter.com/dontshredonme @SalamanderRush created. Email email@example.com FACEBOOK @DontShredOnMe is taken, but not used.. Fan of Gucci Mane. ?? @Dontshredonme2015 https://www.facebook.com/Dontshredonme2015 A game? @DontShredMe Page created Not excited about either, but this is not an exact science...